spacer
netfoos fooball statistics
spacer
spacer

Kentucky is going to be long

Postby wfoundlanabr on Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:44 am

John Calipari might be spending his days with Team USA in Egypt, but Kentucky’s coach can’t wait to get back to the States to see what he can do with the youngest team he has ever assembled.

This much we know, Kentucky is going to be long. Seven players stand 6 foot 8 or taller – P.J. Washington at 6 8; Wenyen Gabriel , Kevin Knox, Jarred Vanderbilt, 6 9; Sacha Killeya Jones and Tai Wynyard, 6 10; and Nick Richards, 7 0.

The possibilities are endless and it starts, surprisingly, on defense.

“I would love to put Jarred at the point of a press,” Calipari said. “I would love to put Kevin Knox as an interceptor and PJ Washington and all the sudden this team is huge and you’re pressing and scrambling.”

VANDERBILT. “He’s truly a point forward,” Calipari said. “He’s a good shooter, not a great shooter, but he can make shots. You put him in the middle of your zone offense, I don’t know how you guard him because now you have a passer/scorer in the middle of your zone. In transition, he can either make that basket at the rim or he’s a terrific passer.”

WASHINGTON. “P.J. Washington is the one that as soon as he learns to dominate possessions , like every possession. ‘I’m not just playing, I’m dominating …’ When someone makes him mad, I’ve seen him be as good as anybody,” Calipari said. “That’s where we’ve got to get him to play because he is skilled, because he can shoot it, because he can be a monster rebounder.

“I don’t think he’s being overlooked, but I think at the end of the day people are going to say, ‘This kid is ridiculous,’” Calipari said. “He’s got some Michael Kidd Gilchrist in him. Michael could probably guard out on the floor a little better than him, but it’s the same deal in transition. If he’s out ahead of you, you’ve got to give it to him because he’ll finish.”

KNOX. “Kevin Knox is going to be the youngest player in college basketball,” Calipari said. “Similar to a Devin Booker, Michael Kidd Gilchrist, he comes in really, really young – but talented. He’s a long, skilled player who, again, has a will to get better. I’m anxious to see his growth because I think it will be off the chain.”

GABRIEL. “Wenyen learned a ton last year,” Calipari said. “He wasn’t ready for what we thought he would be able to do. Now, OK you’ve got to come back and you’ve got to fight.

JONES. “Sacha , the last three weeks at the end of the year, played as well as he played all season ,” Calipari said. “We were like, ‘Where was this? Why did you wait?’ Well, it’s a long season now. This thing is stretched out.
wfoundlanabr

Return to Specialty Forums

copyright 2005-2009 netfoos.com • all rights reserved