spacer
netfoos fooball statistics
spacer
spacer

ELO Calculation Question

Discussion, suggestions and help regarding NetFoos Tournament Software, Online Statistics and Local Foosball Forums.

Postby PGAFooser on Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:46 am

Mark,

I thought I understood the general concept of ELO, but tonight puzzled me. In a 6 team DYP, with a low points partner (AB draw), I lost round one to a team where the forward had more points than me and the goalie had more points than my partner. We proceeded to sweep 3 matches in losers bracket, then faced the same team in the finals of losers, lost again, and ended up 2nd place. At the end of the night, I was down 2 points. Seems a bit odd that winning against 3 teams and only losing to a stronger team nets out minus points.

Any hints as to why?

Thanks,

Perry
PGAFooser

Postby WillD92 on Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:37 pm

I can tell you why but you'd have to tell me the ratings of you and your partner and the other teams.

The team that came in first is probably just a little better than your team. On a 32 point system, if you are equal teams, a win will net you 16 points, and a loss will lose you 16 points. If they are a little better than you, you probably lost 12 to 14 points for each loss. Call it 13, totaling 26. For each win, you probably were much better rating wise versus the other team, you probably only gained an average of 8 points for each win where if they would have beat you, you would have lost 24 points. 3 * 8 is 24, giving you a 2 point negative. Probably something like that.
WillD92

Postby PGAFooser on Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:06 pm

Thanks Will. Kind'of was thinking the same thing. Too late now to look up their ratings back on that date, but I thought he had me outnumbered pretty significantly and for sure the goalie had 50 or more points than my partner. Guess I just need to step up my game.....or quit worrying about points.
PGAFooser

Postby Mark on Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:27 pm

One other quick note... If you are the admin for your NetFoos account you can view the points summary adjustments for each match for individual players in the admin. Just select the player's name for the report type it it will give you a full listing of all matches and points adjustments along with a simple graph.

Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby PGAFooser on Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:47 pm

Thanks Mark. That's a neat feature I hadn't found before.

Here's the final outcome if anyone really cares:
Me 1120
Partner 792
Team 1912

vs.

Opponents 1164 and 826 (Total 1990)

We lost to them opening match and finals match, dropping 15 points each time. Our 3 wins in between netted us 12, 8 and 8 points respectively, so we ended up down 2 points at the end.

My surprise was that losing to a stronger rated team cost us 15, vs. beating weaker teams only netted us 12 and 8. Guess the delta vs. the stronger team was small and the delta vs. our weaker opponents was large.

No worries, its only foos. Thanks again.
PGAFooser

Postby WillD92 on Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:51 pm

Cool, glad you found that!
WillD92

Return to NetFoos Services

copyright 2005-2009 netfoos.com • all rights reserved