spacer
netfoos fooball statistics
spacer
spacer

Hayes was a star at Winter Haven

Anything and everything related to foosball

Postby wfoundlanabr on Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:47 am

One of Tiffany Hayes’ goals entering the season was to be a WNBA All Star.
The Winter Haven grad, in her sixth season out of the University of Connecticut , wanted to follow the lead of the many Huskies in the WNBA. Hayes was a star at Winter Haven, and then again at UConn. She was ready to be that at the professional level.
The Atlanta Dream guard, who won two state titles at Winter Haven and two NCAA titles at UConn, can now call herself a star after being voted by the fans as one of the starting guards for the Eastern Conference in this month’s WNBA All Star Game in Seattle, Wash.

“I just feel like I finally joined the pack,” Hayes said. “Everybody comes from UConn and comes to the league and does great things. Most of them are All Stars. I finally get to say that I was one of the UConn people that were elected as an All Star and I earned it.”
Hayes is one of three first timers, joining the Connecticut Sun’s duo of Jonquel Jones and Jasmine Thomas. She’s also one of five current All Stars to play at UConn. Sue Bird, Diana Taurasi, Maya Moore and Tina Charles are the others.
The 27 year old is excited to be reunited with Charles, whom she played with in college.
Winter Haven girls basketball coach Johnnie Lawson, an assistant under LeDawn Gibson during Hayes’ prep career, was excited for her on Tuesday. Lawson thinks the real breakout for Hayes came last season but said that she’s blossomed into “a greater player” in 2017.
“She’s so much more aggressive and mean — I like the mean streak,” Lawson said with a laugh. “She’s fiery. She’s one of the greatest basketball players in the entire world and she played at Winter Haven. You can’t beat that.”

Always a strong defender, the one area that has keyed Hayes’ breakout this season is an improved touch from outside. The 5 foot 10 guard is shooting a career best 40.7 percent from 3 point range along with an 83.5 percent mark from the free throw line.
“With my scoring, especially my 3 point shot, I think I’ve gotten a little better with that,” she said. “One of my goals was definitely to be an All Star this year. I’m glad I met that goal with the help of the fans and my teammates.”
The improvement didn’t stop there.
Hayes has grabbed a career high 4.5 rebounds while scoring 16.6 points per game , also the highest average in her career. Five years after being taken in the second round of the WNBA draft , she’s grown into one of the league’s top perimeter players.
“It’s great just to know that people out there are watching you and they’re seeing you progress every year,” Hayes said. “They just give you the credit you work so hard for every year.” :D
The Dream currently sit third in the Eastern Conference with an 8 8 record. The top eight teams, regardless of conference, qualify for the WNBA Playoffs. Atlanta is currently sixth overall and is 5½ games behind the first place Minnesota Lynx.
“With teammate Angel McCoughtry out , she’s just had to do so much more and she can do that,” Lawson said of Hayes. “There’s nothing in her game that she can’t do. What this girl is doing now is unbelievable. In my eyes, she’s the leader of that team.”
wfoundlanabr

Return to General Foosball Discussion

copyright 2005-2009 netfoos.com • all rights reserved